Grocery Shopping

Status
Not open for further replies.
When we first moved here, I switched from BJs to Sam's because Sam's is so much closer. I really liked the employees at Sam's (except the one who openly scolded us for using self-checkout for a large order), but when they sold us salmon so old that the package stank when I opened it (I have little sense of smell, so did not detect it in the store package) I said good-bye.

We got a few emails lately from Sam's Club promoting their new curb side pick up service, ...They never showed up and didn't answer the phone when I called.
s.

My wife's been baking a lot of bread, however I've been unable to find yeast or bread flour. We're giving up on making any more for now.

I'm on the lookout for green peas, especially the Leseure's peas, but none are in sight. In fact, no green peas can be found. Plenty of green beans are on the shelves, however.

We do all of our shopping in person for food. Aldi's first and then we go after sale items at the more expensive full service stores like Kroger. Funny how the sale items week by week are not that big of a savings now that stores' expenses have increased related to COROVID.

I was a big Aldi's fan until last week I bought a bag of red potatoes that went bad in a week.I am sticking to Publix's .

WOW! I am shocked the media would promote something like this. NOT.

We older folks need to realize the news media of 2020 is no longer the news media of Walter Cronkite, Huntley-Brinkley, and Peter Jennings.

Today the news media is driven by clicks and viewer numbers exclusively. They get that by emphasizing the worst, the outrageous and the lowest levels of human behavior.

My wife's been baking a lot of bread, however I've been unable to find yeast or bread flour. We're giving up on making any more for now.

I'm on the lookout for green peas, especially the Leseure's peas, but none are in sight. In fact, no green peas can be found. Plenty of green beans are on the shelves, however.

We do all of our shopping in person for food. Aldi's first and then we go after sale items at the more expensive full service stores like Kroger. Funny how the sale items week by week are not that big of a savings now that stores' expenses have increased related to COROVID.

Look for 1 pound bricks of red star or saf brand yeast on Amazon or Walmart. 2.25 teaspoons of yeast equals one packet.

Maybe I am the only one seeing this as a "little" over the top shock promoting.

Not that all the networks don't do that every day, I am just tired of the word CRISIS being used for things that are not a crisis.

JMHO.
"a little over the top"...:LOL:

Trust me, you are not the only one....

Last edited:
Eastern Pa. The Beef Cartel currently has the 80/20 hamburger at $4.99 a pound, where it has been now for weeks. Come on, Big Beef, lower it back to $2.39 a pound like the good old days! (Just a matter of time, one would hope)

Last visit to the local Kroger before we move next week.

It was fairly busy and I would say almost everyone was wearing a mask. I only noticed two folks not wearing masks - a FexEx delivery person dropping something off at the front desk and some other random person.

No shortages that I could tell. Eggs were 1.29 dozen. Hamburger 80/20 was $3.99.

It'll be interesting to see how Northern Ohio (our new area) stacks up against central Ohio.

In Oregon 85/15 Hamburger was $3.48/lb this morning.
Jumbo Eggs were $1.49
Only shortage was clorox wipes.

Local stores in my area are still out of yeast. Everybody must be baking up a storm. Other than that I got everything I requested included Vital Gluten. No ordinary gluten for me!

Since my county has seen the 7 day new infection average nearly triple over the last few weeks, I am back to car pickup at Fred Meyer (Krogers). I will hit Costco tomorrow in person since they are all masks all the time and have those lovely big aisles that make SDing easier.

In Oregon 85/15 Hamburger was $3.48/lb this morning.
Jumbo Eggs were $1.49
Only shortage was clorox wipes.

By me only can get Clorox/Lysol wipes at Walmart and must get there at opening at 7am.
Publix and Walgreen's state they have them, but magically they never do. (Insider scoop I believe).

I am starting to see some chatter suggesting that the run on groceries may be firing up again. If you are short on something, this might be a good time to stock up.

I am starting to see some chatter suggesting that the run on groceries may be firing up again. If you are short on something, this might be a good time to stock up.

Thanks. I went to Costco for the first time since early March to stock up, especially on meats and frozen foods as my freezer is getting bare. I meant to go two weeks ago but was not feeling well and decided it was best to self-isolate for a while before going out.

Costco was not crowded even though it was late afternoon. Everyone wore a mask and there were plexi-glass screens at checkout. They seemed to have reorganized some of the areas (books, clothes, etc.) for added room in the aisles and were out of several items or not carrying those items any more. But I got what I needed. I don't like to go shopping more than once in a week but may take an inventory to see if I need to stock up on some other items that I find at my regular supermarket.

Last edited:
Costco run today in Florida (where we are currently winning the daily testing competitions!)- Costco has re-started the sample tasting thing gigs.

So...while they are masked and shielded, someone figured it was about time to have people standing around calling out "try our cauliflower pizza!" and inviting people to gather in small lines to taste... I mean ok then.

I've been stocking up since Memorial Day, when I saw the crowds everywhere in the country. And we are, in all likelihood, about to witness the very same behavior over this holiday weekend. We had our highest number of daily cases ever today. :(

Good suggestion, thanks.

I just now finished putting away a large Prime Pantry box of non-perishables which got me started on this initiative. Seems like a very sensible thing to begin doing right now given the fact that our recovery here in my location seems to be going backwards. :(

Frank and I are going to the grocery store later this week, and after that my pantry and freezer should contain enough to last for quite a while.

I thought of you this afternoon, when Frank went to Academy to check out the guns and ammo situation (since I know you enjoy hunting). He was shocked - - almost nothing there but bare shelves and empty display cases. He doesn't need anything, but was just curious.

I ordered four dozen rolls of TP last week from a third party vendor on Amazon, and the delivery contained only half of what I ordered. Hopefully the rest will arrive in a second shipment (yes I am the eternal optimist).

<snip>I ordered four dozen rolls of TP last week from a third party vendor on Amazon, and the delivery contained only half of what I ordered. Hopefully the rest will arrive in a second shipment (yes I am the eternal optimist).

Eeek! I hope the rest of it arrives. :(

It makes me wonder if my order of 32 rolls scheduled to arrive tomorrow will really be 32 rolls. :blush:

Must admit that I'm stocking up on rice (2 lbs), NV granola bars (8 boxes @ $0.99 - $2 off coupin), cereal (3 boxes @ 99c), & 3 bags coffee (@ 3.99 ea). That plus the garden cover my breakfast for 2 months (or the kid's for a week) thank goodness for fruit trees

Hmm, maybe my Target order this morning was a good idea. I found they had pretty good prices on some pantry stables (stuff like dry beans and pasta) and free shipping with a reasonable order size so I just replenished some of the stuff I've eaten in the past few months.

"Might be a good time to stock up." I was saying the very thing to my DH last night. We haven't depleted the pantry, but it is down. Our freezer too. Time to lay a few things by for lean times just in case...

Putting together a list for a big run later today. Our stores do have signs requesting we limit purchases on certain things so we'll likely need to visit several grocers.

I put in for every big game tag I can get this year. Expect to end up with an elk tag or two, a couple deer tags and a bear tag. Success on any of those will go a long way toward filling the freezer.

The chatter will actually start a run on groceries it kind of works that way doesn't it? I imagine in the newly hard hit areas some people might try to limit their trips out and about.

We have not been inside a grocery store since March 11. And will not return anytime soon. I'll get my haircut and go to the dentist before I step inside a grocery store. We use instacart to get groceries from Smiths, or Sprouts, or Costco depending upon what we need. We use curbside at Target, wild bird store, and local pet store. I do have to step inside a local brewpub to pick up our weekly beer supply but it is nearly a curbside experience.

We were thinking about switching The delivery service from Instacart to Dumpling but will wait for Our instacart subscription to expire.

I went to HEB yesterday and noticed that they seemed to be having trouble keeping the shelves stocked in some categories - bare spots in the shelves, although nothing was completely out. I didn't even bother to look for disinfecting wipes, etc. Biggest issue for me is no boneless chicken thighs for 3 weeks now. I don't like Costco's boneless thighs, so I may have to check out Randalls (also because HEB appears to have stopped carrying my favorite SkinnyGirl microwave popcorn). I guess I could bone regular thighs, but that seems like a lot of work.

I went to HEB yesterday and noticed that they seemed to be having trouble keeping the shelves stocked in some categories - bare spots in the shelves, although nothing was completely out. I didn't even bother to look for disinfecting wipes, etc. Biggest issue for me is no boneless chicken thighs for 3 weeks now. I don't like Costco's boneless thighs, so I may have to check out Randalls (also because HEB appears to have stopped carrying my favorite SkinnyGirl microwave popcorn). I guess I could bone regular thighs, but that seems like a lot of work.
I went to HEB yesterday too (east/central Texas) and it was almost fully stocked. The TP and paper towel shelves weren't 100% but maybe 75% stocked. No limits and lot's of choices. Everything else was at or near 100%... Interesting that they are now requiring masks at our local HEB... If you don't have one, they'll give you one. They also have several people outside cleaning every basket with each use before it's allowed back in the store. However, just down the street at Walmart they don't required much of anything. They were about 100% stocked too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom