Examples of current inflation - add yours!

Employers don't really have to give employees any benefits at all unless it's contractual and even that could be subject to certain performance or other conditions.
Oh, I agree that empl*yers have a lot of latitude in changing the rules, so to speak. My real issue is that Megacorp was trying to tell "us" that they were doing us a huge favor when in fact they were taking away benefits. Again, they have that right, but then don't try to tell us we're better off. YMMV

I just surrendered and downloaded the McD's app on Friday, and saved a bunch of money over what I had been paying. I drive a lot and eat at McD's too much. When the story about Big Mac meals costing $18 came out, I noted that I paid 9.59 for my last Big Mac meal that week. I think a fair number of the inflation stories are outliers designed to enrage people and garner clicks.

I'll say that I really haven't seen the crazy pricing that others are reporting; my biggest increases have been moderate-to-fancy restaurants charging crazy prices, so now I rarely go and I cook more at home.
I agree that news stories are rarely geared toward actually informing the public but rather selling papers or garnering clicks. Having said that, Fast food HAS dramatically increased in price recently.

If you want crazy prices, come to Hawaii. I haven't been for a while, but all the fast food places began upping their prices dramatically the last couple of years. Can't tell you what a Big Mac meal goes for, but it's more than $9.59 (which is too much for me.) YMMV

A non-negotiable requirement of my life since the day I left home at 18 has been that I will always be able to buy what I want at the grocery without having to know or care what it costs. I would hate to go through life needing to care whether a Banquet Pot Pie costs $1.00 or $1.49
I understand your take on "life" but even though I could pay double (triple, quadruple, etc.) what grocery stores charge, I grew up relatively poor and I will always be looking at prices. In addition to the actual prices, I believe inflation is a key parameter to the health of the nation (much as BP and BMI are some keys to human health.) To ignore such things is probably unhealthy. Grocery prices are so key to the national "wellness" (as opposed to cruise ship or Euro vacation costs) that I simply can't ignore them - even though they have relatively little effect on my bottom line.

Having said that, your view is probably healthier than mine regarding increasing prices. You don't worry and I do (which is unhealthy.) But some things in a person's past have a profound effect on their future habits. I will likely take my frugal ways to the grave (I've already planned a bare bones cremation and ashes scattering on the local pet cemetery.) Some things, I don't worry about the prices - but grocery items are not one of those things. YMMV

I finally bought hashbrowns today. When Aldis 20pk went over $5, I was like nope not going to do it, I have no idea why that was the hill to die on but I just couldn't justify $5.50 for potatoes. As part of Aldis price drops, they dropped the price to $4.49. I didn't expect such a significant drop.

I understand your take on "life" but even though I could pay double (triple, quadruple, etc.) what grocery stores charge, I grew up relatively poor and I will always be looking at prices. In addition to the actual prices, I believe inflation is a key parameter to the health of the nation (much as BP and BMI are some keys to human health.) To ignore such things is probably unhealthy. Grocery prices are so key to the national "wellness" (as opposed to cruise ship or Euro vacation costs) that I simply can't ignore them - even though they have relatively little effect on my bottom line.

Having said that, your view is probably healthier than mine regarding increasing prices. You don't worry and I do (which is unhealthy.) But some things in a person's past have a profound effect on their future habits. I will likely take my frugal ways to the grave (I've already planned a bare bones cremation and ashes scattering on the local pet cemetery.) Some things, I don't worry about the prices - but grocery items are not one of those things. YMMV
Extreme poverty in my youth is precisely the reason for my stand now. When I was a boy, we were unable to buy so many things at the grocery store, and I really resented it. I vowed that when I grew up I would buy anything I wanted to eat. I am not totally unaware of prices, and I do shop at Aldi and take advantage of sales at the other stores, but at the end of the day, if I want something from the grocery, I buy it. I will skimp on anything else before I skimp on food.

I finally bought hashbrowns today. When Aldis 20pk went over $5, I was like nope not going to do it, I have no idea why that was the hill to die on but I just couldn't justify $5.50 for potatoes. As part of Aldis price drops, they dropped the price to $4.49. I didn't expect such a significant drop.
Heh, heh, and it was ALL because of YOUR refusal to buy at the inflated price. GOOD on you.:flowers:

Extreme poverty in my youth is precisely the reason for my stand now. When I was a boy, we were unable to buy so many things at the grocery store, and I really resented it. I vowed that when I grew up I would buy anything I wanted to eat. I am not totally unaware of prices, and I do shop at Aldi and take advantage of sales at the other stores, but at the end of the day, if I want something from the grocery, I buy it. I will skimp on anything else before I skimp on food.
I guess we're all wired differently which makes this an interesting world.

I was on a road trip a few days ago. When I stopped for gas, there was Krispy Kreme next door. I can't remember the last time I bought a donut. On a whim I went in and bought one. I couldn't find the price of a single donut posted anywhere. I asked for one blueberry cake donut and was shocked when the total price including tax was $2.69! What has happened to donut prices? I was guessing that the price would be more like a dollar less than that (which I still consider excessive for a non-gourmet donut.)

Frozen potatoes has never been an item I would buy. Just not on my radar screen. However, I was given an air fryer for Christmas. Wanting to experiment, I looked at the frozen potato choices in the supermarket and was shocked at the prices. Just for potatoes?

Frozen potatoes has never been an item I would buy. Just not on my radar screen. However, I was given an air fryer for Christmas. Wanting to experiment, I looked at the frozen potato choices in the supermarket and was shocked at the prices. Just for potatoes?
Well, it's for the processing, bagging, shipping and keeping frozen that adds to the cost.

I was on a road trip a few days ago. When I stopped for gas, there was Krispy Kreme next door. I can't remember the last time I bought a donut. On a whim I went in and bought one. I couldn't find the price of a single donut posted anywhere. I asked for one blueberry cake donut and was shocked when the total price including tax was $2.69! What has happened to donut prices? I was guessing that the price would be more like a dollar less than that (which I still consider excessive for a non-gourmet donut.)
I still remember when donuts were 5 cents at an actual bakery. No way I'd pay $2.69 for a donut - not even if I never eat another one in my life. YMMV

OK a little inflation. I turned in my Lease car, a stock 2022 VW Tiguan R-Line for a 2024 VW Tiguan SEL R-Line with all the available options from the VW Plus all the extras available from the Dealership. My lease when up $10 a month. :)

I went in for my 2-year service on Wednesday, my now friend who happens to be the sales manager called me over and asked if I wanted a new car. My answer is always the same "Can you get me the same or better car for the same lease payment ...... I walked out with a brand new 2024 VW Tiguan R-Line and a new 36 month lease for $10 a month more. OK. I gave in a little but having an extra 18 months on the lease is worth it.

I have monthly lease budget that I refuse to go over, even if I have to get a lesser vehicle. This is my 3rd. Top of the line Tiguan in the last 6 years. My friend never seems to let me get through a full lease. We love the car and have no reason to shop for a different one as the VW dealer who maintains it is literally less than 5 miles away.

I wanted the same lease payment, but the benefits of a newer car and a new 36-month lease in this case along with the peace of mind was worth the extra $120 a year. This is for a no money down lease with the exception of the usual First Month Lease Payment, Tax and Tags. I have never bought down a lease (CAP Cost Reduction) as that defeats the object.

We used to pay around $55 to take Uber/Lyft from our house to LAX. After pandemic, it is now around $68. Plus, DW normally tip 20%. That is at least $80 total now.

Local BBQ place receipt:

Cheeseburger - $7.99 (American, Swiss, Provolone, Cheddar)
Cheddar - $1.00
Soft drink - $3.00
Fries - $2.49

Total - $14.48

What?:oops:

Local BBQ place receipt:

Cheeseburger - $7.99 (American, Swiss, Provolone, Cheddar)
Cheddar - $1.00
Soft drink - $3.00
Fries - $2.49

Total - $14.48

What?:oops:
My county just raised the minimum wage to more than $19 and hour. I predict more kiosks and self ordering stations even at the smaller chains and the mom and pop places. The reality is somebody has to pay those wages or the burger joints might as well close up, or read up on the income tax rules for a Hobby Loss.

My county just raised the minimum wage to more than $19 and hour. I predict more kiosks and self ordering stations even at the smaller chains and the mom and pop places. The reality is somebody has to pay those wages or the burger joints might as well close up, or read up on the income tax rules for a Hobby Loss.
I would think if ordering a "cheeseburger", the cheese would come with it, not be an extra $1.00.

Recently my resident travel agent has found hotel prices dropping. She checks frequently and has been able to reduce an August stay at a chain resort from $2200 for 5 nights down to $1400. Fortunately we only use the hotel website and the cancel/rebook process is relatively simple.

Walmart is still selling Banquet Pot Pies for $1.00. Bought some last week.
This isn't current, but I was craving a pot pie, at the time, 10 years ago I was eating Marie Callenders frozen pot pies. I stopped at a local deli to see their freshly made pot pies, I looked in the Deli case and there it was an 10" chicken pot pie. $24.99! I have never been in the store since, apparently other people go, as they are still in business.

I bought 50ft of 12-3 copper wire for a 3 way switch it was $117.00 with tax $126.44. Also Lowes and Home Depot now have house wiring under lock and key, a store employee physically carries it up to the register for you to pay.
Will we ever get back to a society honest enough that stores aren't failing because of shoplifting?

Last time I was in a BurgerKing, they, of course, had Kiosks for ordering. BUT there were two young women leaning against the serving counter - theoretically waiting for someone to come into the store. They seemed lost in conversation. We were the only two customers. The two women never budged even when we stepped up to the counter. I stared at the two women who still did not move. I finally more or less shouted my order to them. It took several seconds for them to decide which one would actually come to the order counter, only to ask us what we wanted? Huh?

I bring this up because paying $20/hour (or even $15) would be ridiculous since the women obviously didn't want to be there and they certainly weren't interested in service. I hate kiosks, but apparently "service" has gone the way of the dodo at fast-food places. My solution is not to visit fast food places. YMMV

Last time I was in a BurgerKing, they, of course, had Kiosks for ordering. BUT there were two young women leaning against the serving counter - theoretically waiting for someone to come into the store. They seemed lost in conversation. We were the only two customers. The two women never budged even when we stepped up to the counter. I stared at the two women who still did not move. I finally more or less shouted my order to them. It took several seconds for them to decide which one would actually come to the order counter, only to ask us what we wanted? Huh?

I bring this up because paying $20/hour (or even $15) would be ridiculous since the women obviously didn't want to be there and they certainly weren't interested in service. I hate kiosks, but apparently "service" has gone the way of the dodo at fast-food places. My solution is not to visit fast food places. YMMV
Seeing you won't use an app for the store, the Kiosks are there for you to use. They really are quite easy to use and you can pay there. 🙂 Those workers are probably there to deliver the meals and clean the tables.

I had a nice 10x12x10 foot wood shed, barn style built in my back yard exactly 4 years ago for about $2100 plus paint and options. Today, the company wants $3500 plus paint and options for the same model. That’s a 70% increase in the base price!

Seeing you won't use an app for the store, the Kiosks are there for you to use. They really are quite easy to use and you can pay there. 🙂 Those workers are probably there to deliver the meals and clean the tables.
Perhaps so, but they weren't doing ANYthing. So why NOT take my order? (Reluctantly, they eventually did.)

I know that eventually, the whole store will be run by one person, watching over the robots and kiosks and apps. I do not look forward to that day, but I won't likely see it as I won't be going to their store.

By the way, I have used the Kiosks and they are not as intuitive as I would have thought. I spent several minutes trying to get a drink at the drink machine once. It was not intuitive either, but YMMV.

I tried using the Kiosk at McDonalds to order 2 breakfast burritos. I could order one but never figured out how to add a second one. I finally went up to the counter.

I know that eventually, the whole store will be run by one person, watching over the robots and kiosks and apps. I do not look forward to that day, but I won't likely see it as I won't be going to their store.
I'm kinda looking forward to that. The chains have already dumbed down the food preparation to the point where it's an unskilled job. Nothing a robot can't handle, and probably better. Not to mention cleaner. I don't think I want to know what those entry-level employees do with my food.

I've tried to avoid the kiosks but I really need to give them a chance. I guess I don't do fast food often enough to get good at using them. They can't be any worse than the check-in kiosks at the airport.

Back
Top Bottom